Wednesday, May 23, 2012

From the Desk of Susan and Bentley Special Addition ~ Where the Wild Things Are



Idaho is a very remote place.  We don't have to travel far
from our cottage before the terrain becomes very steep and rugged.

On Monday there was a mountain lion following the path of the Boise River 
and strolling around the campus of Boise State University which is just a
little over a mile from my home.  Apparently this two year old female
cougar had become accustomed to humans, so she was considered a 
danger.  An officer from Fish and Game shot and killed her.

We have lots of wild animals here.  Deer, elk, moose, coyotes and black 
bears.  We also have wolves which were reintroduced to the state about 
fifteen years ago.  The wolf population has grown rapidly here.  Ranchers are
nervous and angry as many cattle have been killed.  Wolves have also
killed house pets.

The grizzly population is also on the rise.  I don't know about you, but
I have no desire to get up close and personal with a grizzly bear.  

Here we live in this beautiful state with it's majestic mountains and plentiful
rivers and glacier lakes. We share this beauty with the wild things.  Although
I understand that human life must be protected, I am saddened that this
beautiful animal had to be killed to protect us.  I suppose that's what 
can happen when one lives where the wild things are.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



12 comments:

  1. Yes that is very sad Susan... Now and then they shot moose here when they get close to roadways... I DO NOT like to hear that... I can no longer feed the birds do to my bears... I'm OKAY with that, and I DO make sure our sliding doors are closed at night so YOGI doesn't get too UP CLOSE and PERSONAL! I've gotten GREAT PICTURES of all our wildlife. BUT I respect them too. NO GRIZZLIES here...BE CAREFUL of your little BENTLEY!!!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Big Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad. I wonder why they couldn't have tranqulized (sp?) him and taken him somewhere safe. That is sad! Do watch out for your Bentley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad really. :-( I know back home in Nova Scotia, coyotoes are a problem as well as bears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. I find it very sad. We've moved into their space, really. I agree with Sandy - why couldn't they have tranquilized the lion and moved him somewhere else? I so love all wildlife. I know we must be careful, but we are all equal sharers of this planet.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad. Even here in Illinois we have issues. At home some Hawks have come into town and have dived down and snatched small dogs and cats. Bentley stay close to Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sandy and Claudia. I wanted to know why she could not have been tranquilized. Many of us here have the same question. The response was that she had lost her fear of humans. I still feel sad about her death.
    xo Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad. Clash of our world and theirs. I would be scared to death if I saw one. Even down here in SoCal people have been killed by them riding bikes and hiking on trails in our hills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree as well about the killing of animals that are wild and dangerous to us.
    Could they have not captured her and set her free in a remote area so that she wouldn't have had to be destroyed? It seems like such a shame. My aunt use to live in Boise, Idaho and loved the state. Up north from there is a city that she said was like a fairy tale place and if there was any place she would have loved to live it would have been there. If I had a map handy I would know it's name. She now lives in Kansas.
    I wanted to stop by, not only to see what is going on here with you, but to also thank you for stopping by and leaving such kind words. It has been rough but my blogger friends have been so kind to show their caring nature. It means a lot.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sad, but I guess there was no alternative. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad. She was beautiful. I agree with some of the others who have commented. Why couldn't they have tranquilized her. I hate to see wild animals killed. We have encroached upon their territory and we must all learn to live together. In my neighborhood we have deer, fox, coyotes, hawks and the great horned owl. I have to be mindful of my little dogs but I don't want to see them killed. I think we run into trouble when we feed the wild animals because then they associate humans with food. I do love to feed the birds but we may have to stop in the summer. I like to feed the birds in the winter when they really need the extra help.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...