Sunday, September 23, 2012

Being Dead Is No Excuse



I know you must be thinking ~ what is with that blog post title?
I have a reason for it ~ really I do!
I love cookbooks.  A few years ago I was reading only Southern
authors when I discovered this delightful book ~ Being Dead Is No Excuse
The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral.

These two authors, Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays have 
combined the perfect mix of storytelling, wit and recipes into a fun
read.  Go to the website Being Dead Is No Excuse for more info.




This is one of the recipes from their book that I highly recommend!  It comes
from the Viking Cooking School.  Since I have a Viking, I could hardly
wait to make this recipe.




It is sweet and has a very fresh taste because of the addition of the lemon zest
and the fresh parsley and garlic.




Positively yummy!

I laughed so much while reading this book.  One of my favorite stories is when they
discuss the women of St James' Episcopal Church:

"Ladies from the alter guild have been known to visit the Vatican only to sniff
'That's not how it is done at St James'."  So true!  I spent several years serving on the 
alter guild of St Michaels' Cathedral and I know how particular and careful
the alter guild ladies are to uphold tradition.  




Viking Tomatoes will be a great addition to your recipe file, so give it a try.
Check out a copy of the book too.  You will have so much fun
reading it!


I know Bentley, your Daddy is not a tomato fan, but we love them
don't we?

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



19 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks a lot! I'm a southern belle from New Orleans (living in California), and love to cook. (I"m also an Episcopalian - all of my life.), so this book has got my attention. I think I'll order it. Did you know that the Viking stove is the only one made in the USA? Sad, but true! Keep blogging!

    Helene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will enjoy reading this book. Yes I do know that Viking is made in the USA. I have read so many nice things about this company.
      Susan

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed this book. Both of these authors are as funny as can be in real life too.Most of this is no story either, I lived in the Delta for years and the ladies are exactly like this. Have you read her other cookbooks? They are just as funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is wonderfully funny. I have read it twice now and will read their others too! Thanks for the tip!!
      Susan

      Delete
  3. oh how I love that book....read it a few years ago...it is a keeper for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read it twice and still laugh out loud at their stories!
      Susan

      Delete
  4. You can tell by the title you'll get a chuckle or two out of this book! Great stove Susan, oh how I wish my development had natural gas-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's to die for! I know, I'm stilly but it's only 4:28 AM!
      Susan

      Delete
  5. Hi Sister! I think we have the same fridge???!!! Can you believe it, of course you can?! What brand is your? Your stove is so cool. I know it is dream to cook with.
    xoxo
    Me
    Bentley, see if Momma will put some bacon in those tomatoes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an Amana. I loved it, but it died and I bought a GE side by side to replace it. Of course I can believe that you have that fridge ~ we are sisters after all!!
      Susan

      Delete
  6. Wonderful little cookbook! I love all the pimento cheese recipes! Who can resist pineapple casserole? Everyone who has every eaten cheese grits know they are "healing"! What a great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make pimento cheese for my husband every year when he watches the Masters from Augusta. Of course I could eat pimento cheese all of the time! And of course cheese grits are healing!
      Susan

      Delete
  7. Will definitely try this!! I love tomatoes any way.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting book!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun read this must be, Susan. Lots of good recipes I bet. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very fun read and makes me wish that I grew up in the Mississippi Delta. What a fascinating spot!
      Susan

      Delete
  10. I have this hilarious book and re-read it periodically because it is so spot-on about Southern funeral etiquette! It always puts a smile on my face! I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. So many sound like they'd be funeral-inducing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. I could top this with gluten free crumbs. Really must read this :)

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...