Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Forgiving For the New Year



Here we are once again at the end of a year and looking forward to the 
promise of a fresh new year ahead.  I have chosen not to focus on a new 
diet or exercise plan.  I am not going to make a resolution to redecorate the 
house or a laundry list of battling daily chores.  This New Year's Eve I
am focusing on one thing only ~

FORGIVENESS



source


I admit that in the past I have not been able to forgive easily.  I have held onto
hurts and have let them damage my heart.  But I do remember these words once
spoken to me by a pastor.  He told me that forgiving is something we do for
ourselves.


source


His words stayed with me although I did not really want to let go of the
perceived hurt.  How could I is what I kept telling myself when one had
intentionally hurt me?  When one knew that they were deceiving me and
yet persisted in doing so?  I wanted revenge for the wrong.  I wanted the
other to experience the depth of the pain I was feeling.


source


I was taught to forgive.  It was one of the first lessons I learned in
Sunday school.  Yet why was it so hard for me to practice what was
preached to me?




source

My hardened heart began to soften when understanding and
knowing that I am forgiven of my sins, indiscretions and hurts have
been forgiven, how can I be so selfish as to not forgive others?





source



I have said many prayers over the years.  I have asked and have received
forgiveness, but up until now I have not fully embraced the true meaning
of forgiveness.  I know that for many of you, this is something you have
achieved.  I have not.  So I am writing this post to confess that I am far
from perfect.  That I have allowed hurts to tear at my soul.



source

I am not preaching to you.  I am sharing a lesson that has been so difficult
for me to accept because my heart was hardened.  I cannot say that it has
been a divine revelation to me that has changed me for the better.  Rather
it is the path I have chosen to take and each day I will have to remind
myself to forgive until that forgiveness is so firmly etched into my soul
that I will no longer have to remind myself of it's truth.



source


 I am leaving you with this message of forgiveness for the new year.
For those of you who have been struggling with forgiveness, I hope that
you will follow along this path with me and that we will soon find
peace in our hearts.

Happy New Year Y'All!

Susan and Bentley











12 comments:

  1. Excellent post ... so important that we forgive and so very very hard to do so. Blessings in 2014 for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this is a beautiful post about forgiveness, and it is true that we are forgiven by Jesus so we are called to forgive. I read that not forgiving is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. I hope your home is calm after the "incident" and that you will have a safe and forgiving year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same to you, Susan. Kiss Bentley for me!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is SO hard to forgive the deep hurts that others inflict on us. Actually, I will be honest, I cannot do it. I can't! When it comes right down to it I have to pray, "Lord, I can't! But You can, and You'll have to forgive through me." And He does! And I might have to run back to Him again and again to have Him forgive through me again and again ... but He is always faithful. I love you, sweet Susan, and look forward to another fabulous year of blogging with you.

    Big Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan my dear friend and sister ~ I am with you all the way. It has come to light in the past few days that I have not forgiven. When we do not forgive, we give the evil one a foothold in the door of our heart. True forgiveness releases us and lets the Lord full reign in our heart and soul. May the love of the Lord Jesus descend upon your household this 2014. May he give you the strength to full forgive and allow him to bless you fully

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Susan,

    I can't tell you how timely your words here are today. I have been battling with the issue of forgiveness, or maybe I should say, the gift of forgiveness, since, in the end, it is something you do for yourself, as you so eloquently noted. I have actually asked someone who has hurt me very much, to apologize for this wrong doing towards me, but they refuse to do so, and thus, I have been struggling with the notion of trying to let go, and forgive them, but I cannot. For me, it has to do with self respect, pain, and doing the right thing. Someone should be able to simply say, 'I'm sorry', after being told that they have crushed you to the core of your being. This fact alone, would be more than enough for me to apologize to someone. But, sadly, I believe that ego and pride have a lot to do with forgiveness, or refusal to ask for it. Your post today is very touching and heartfelt. It made me cry, as I am extremely sensitive these days, for many reasons, and I thank you for your honesty and grace.

    Wishing you the strength to achieve what your heart and soul aspires. All the best in health and happiness in the new year!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be the hardest thing ever to forgive, but when you do the freedom your heart feels is amazing. Wishing you success as you follow this path in 2014~
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I wish you well on your journey.. However, I think of it more as "forgetting", if the other person has not asked for forgiveness. Even God wants us to ask him for forgiveness - it really is a two-step process. Wishing you a much better 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very interesting to me. I was discussing forgiveness with my daughter, who visited us for Christmas. I don't have any problem forgiving other people. I cannot seem to forgive myself for things that I feel I have done poorly (at best) and two big life mistakes I have made. I want to be able to forgive myself because it's a really heavy burden and I believe it's impacting my ability to LIVE, but I've been struggling with it for years now. I told her that I know that Jesus forgives me, but I can't seem to forgive myself. I decided a few days ago that I'm going to make "forgiveness" one of the words I repeat to myself at least daily throughout 2014 and hope that it helps! So...Happy New Year to you and yours and we'll both work on it, in our different ways!! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can forgive but not forget . Thanks for sharing , here's to a new year of both challenges for us all ! Have a safe and Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  11. forgiveness is daily for me; it's so hard for ME so I have to give it up to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan (And Bentley, of course): I just recently turned 60 and I decided I'm not having any more birthdays. I feel like I have entered into the portal of forgetful sometimes. Just kidding. I wanted to say that I don't make resolutions. I call them New Life Plans. This year I was planning on being as the older President Bush said many years ago "Be a kinder, gentler nation". I want to be kinder, gentler and now I want that same FORGIVENESS. Thank you for the inspiration. I know we all have lots of vintage suitcases just loaded up with stuff that needs FORGIVENESS and someone else has those same vintage suitcases and needs the FORGIVENESS as well. Two way street. Thanks for sharing. I feel so good right now.

    Love,
    Diane
    The Library Lady

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...