Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Anti~Aging Carrot Curry and Ginger Soup


I'm in the kitchen again to share another one of my recipes with you.
Last week I showed you my recipe for a healthy salad using leftovers from
the fridge.  This week I am back with an anti-aging recipe packed with
anti~oxidants and anti~inflammatory ingredients.  The kind of ingredients
that will keep us healthier and younger longer.

I love to make soups.  It's great to make a big pot of soup and have some
that day and refrigerate or freeze the rest for later.  I like soup all year round,
even when it's hot outside ~ especially when it's a soup with curry and spices
like this one.  After all, it's pretty hot in India and Thailand most of the year
and they have been eating like this for centuries.



For this recipe I used:

Four Carrots ~ peeled and sliced
1/2 Onion ~ diced
1 Clove Garlic diced
1 Inch Piece Ginger ~ peeled and grated
1 Large Box Chicken Broth (could substitute vegetable broth)
1 Can Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
Garam Masala
Curry Powder
Kosher Salt to taste
Lime Juice
Cilantro ~ garnish



Carrots are loaded with Vitamin A and fiber too as we all know.
Ginger is a powerhouse too (as are most spices).  It aids digestion and is
also an anti~inflammatory root.  It can improve cardiac health because it
decreases sticky platelets which contribute to excessive clotting.  It boosts
immunity and helps to remove toxins and viruses from our bodies. It
increases circulation and keeps our skin looking healthy by aiding the
digestive tract.  

Garlic also helps to prevent heart disease by lowering high blood pressure
and high cholesterol.  



Garam Masala is a spice often used in Indian cooking.  It is a mixture of
spices including cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, coriander and 
cardamon.  These also have potent anti~inflammatory properties.  As
scientists learn more about our bodies, they are learning that inflammation
is at the root of many diseases and finding ways to control inflammation
help to keep us well and to slow down the aging process.  What I love about
it is that it gives a dish a real depth of flavor, a layering of spices that
amuse the palate.

Curry is another spice that has been gaining a lot of press lately.  Our
country's dilemma of Alzheimer's has researchers scrambling to find a
way to control it.  One thing they have noticed is the lower rates of
Alzheimer's in India where curries are widely consumed.  I love the
flavor, so if I can eat a tasty curry and help my brain at the same time
I think it's a win win.



Here's what you do:

Add a little olive oil to a soup pot ~ just coat the bottom of the pan.
Get it hot and then add the onions and carrots.  Saute slowly for 10 to 15
minutes.  Add the garlic (careful not to burn), some Kosher salt, and 
1/2  tsp or more of the Curry Powder and Garam Masala.  Adjust this
amount depending on your taste.  Let the spices just warm up, stirring often.

Add the broth.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 30 minutes.
No lid.  Take off the stove and pour into blender in small batches since
the mixture is still hot.  When all mixture has been blended, return to
pot and add the can of coconut milk.  Heat through.




Taste to see if you need any more salt.  I try to keep the salt to a minimum.




Pour in a bowl.  I added a squirt of lime juice to my bowl and some
chopped cilantro which I think adds yet another layer of flavor and 
once again is packed with great anti~aging properties.

I served mine with a glass of infused water ~ lemon and cucumber,
so refreshing!  



That's it for this Wednesday.  I am planning on making Wednesdays
my recipe day at Ash Tree Cottage.  I love to cook but I also like to
look for ways to add lots of nutrition and anti~aging ingredients into
our menu.  Until next time ….

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



5 comments:

  1. Susan i LOVE your cooking posts! More please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I just LOVE soup, too! This sounds so yummy with all those good for you spices. Thanks for sharing your recipe,
    I just know it's going to be my new favorite! Big hugs to you and Bentley.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, this sounds delicious.
    It's all about inflammation, isn't it?

    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH- I need this desperately. I fight inflammation all the time---off and on anti-inflammatories for the last 30 years.This soup sounds wonderful. Want to move in and cook for me? lol What? What do you mean- NO!? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look forward to trying this! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...