Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup


When I buy a rotisserie chicken, I don't let any of it go to waste.  The first
night, we will just have the warm chicken.  David likes light meat, I like
dark, and Bentley ~ well, Bentley is not picky about it.  He just loves
everything.

Last night I made curried chicken salad with what meat was left.
Then, I am left with a carcass.  Does it go in the trash???

NO!!!

I used the carcass to make chicken soup.  Let me show you how I
do it ....


I get out my three quart stockpot.  I find this is the perfect size
pot for just a few bowls of soup.



I put the carcass in the pot, ~ everything, bones, skin and all.  I add a stalk
of celery and add the celery leaves too.  I always look for the celery with 
the most leaves when I shop.  The leaves have lots of flavor.  I add two or
three carrots (depending on size), and a whole onion.  Don't peal the onion,
just cut off the root.  The outer wrapping of the onion actually gives the soup
great flavor.   Then I pour in 32 ounces of boxed chicken broth.  If that's 
not enough liquid, I will top it off with some water.  That's it.  Easy.



Put on the lid, bring to a boil, and then turn down to simmer.  Let it 
cook several hours.  Strain and either add noodles, or dumplings.



I had a bowl of this soup for lunch today ~ nirvana!

When I was a very little girl, my parents took me to a very popular restaurant
not far from our house.  Knowing that I really liked chicken noodle soup,
and being a very picky eater, my parents told me that this restaurant was
famous for their delicious soups, so my Mom ordered some for me.  When 
the soup arrived the waiter stopped and asked us if we were enjoying our
soup.  My lower lip dropped and I looked very sad.  The waiter asked
me what was the matter and I said .... but where's the noodle???

My parents told that story for years, much to my embarrassment.  So if 
you come to my house and I serve you some homemade chicken noodle
soup, don't be surprised if you get a little broth with your noodles ;-)

Don't worry about Bentley ~ he always gets some broth.  He likes
it with, and without noodles.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley




13 comments:

  1. I have three words for you....IN THIS WEATHER??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ~ even in this weather!!! It is miserably hot, hot, hot here too. I stay inside all day. I don't go out until later in the evening and that is only to walk Bentley ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wait...make that FOUR. IN THIS TEXAS WEATHER???? It's been over 100 here in Rowlett (outside of Dallas). Please email me and let me know where you are. We have been blog friends for years (back when I lived in Alexandria, VA) and I'd love to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathie, in this Texas weather!! I would love to meet you too Kathie. I plan on making a trip up to Dallas this fall. Let's get together. I will email you!

      Delete
  3. When I read this I started laughing right out loud. For some reason it reminded me of that crazy commercial (and I think it was for Wendy's) where the old lady goes--WHERE'S THE BEEF? lol Bet the waiter got a huge kick out of that.
    Love your copper pans and I always use all the chicken, too. When I am in a hurry I will freeze the 'carcass' until I have time to make soup.
    Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably be that old lady, except I'll be saying "Where's the fish"? I don't eat much beef anymore ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love soup and a rotisserie chicken is never gone to waste at my house either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I roasted a chicken :-)

      Delete
  5. Yum!!! I love homemade chicken noodle soup. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just came home from Costco's with two chickens. I will make chicken enchilladas (spelling?) for tonight with one and the other one will be for our two pit bulls. I cook sweet potatoes, black beans and brown rice for the dogs. Then I will make the soup for us. BTW it is hot in CT but I had a big bowl of soup for lunch - LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Susan I need noodles in my homemade soups too. I get the rotisserie chicken and cut it up for my homemade chicken soup. It makes the riches best tasting chicken soup. I did not know that about the celery leaves giving more flavor. Thanks for that tip. Your chicken salad sounds pretty good too.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the very same thing!! Chicken the first night, either in a salad or with rice/veggies. Curried chicken salad with golden raisins and nuts with the leftovers. And the carcass goes into the freezer to make broth. When I have a couple of carcasses, it goes into the crock pot for at least 24 hours with onion, garlic, herbs, celery with leaves of course, carrots, and sometimes mushroom stems and a cheese rind. Yummmmmmmmm! Nothing like homemade broth! And, same as you? My chicken noodle soup is mostly noodles!! :) Kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiring recipe:) not gonna waste rotisserie chicken leftover anymore

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...