Monday, November 7, 2016

Yummy in the Tummy Soup Recipe


Yesterday was a dark, cloudy and sometimes rainy day.
David took off in the afternoon to try to get in 18 holes of golf.
I used my time alone with Bentley to add to my Pinterest boards
and to cook.  

Cooking on a rainy afternoon is a special treat for me.  I turn on 
some music, open up my fridge and pantry and get creative.
It's "me time" that I really enjoy.  While in the fridge, I realized that
I had two remaining leeks from a recipe using leeks from a couple
of days ago.  I didn't want them to go to waste, so potato leek
soup came to mind, or vichyssoise as the French call it, but I will
not be serving mine chilled.

When using leeks, remember to cut off most all of the green part.
As the white bulb becomes a pale green, that's where I chop it off.
I split the remaining portion down the center and open them up a bit
to separate the sections as I run them under cold tap water.   The
layers of the leek can retain a fair amount of sandy soil, so it's
important to remove this so that your soup will not be gritty.
Then I simply slice the leeks.  



The leeks are then sautéed in a combination of olive oil and butter.  Don't
rush this process.  Sprinkle on some Kosher salt to help the leeks "sweat".

After the leeks have become nice and soft, chicken stock,  peeled and 
cubed Yukon gold potatoes are added.  This comes to a boil and is simmered
with a lid on the pot for about 45 minutes.

Cool the soup a bit and add to a blender or use an immersion blender.
Which reminds me, I need one (immersion blender) so that is on
my Christmas list. 

After the soup is nicely blended, I added some cream (I used half and half)
and some buttermilk.  I always have buttermilk in the fridge.  I use it
in so many ways and it gives the soup a bit of a tang.  The complete 
recipe I used for the soup is from Alton Brown and you can find it



I served the soup in some of my cream soup bowls and sprinkled the
tops with some sliced green onion and some cooked bacon bits.  
By the way, here is a time saving tip.  I like to bake my bacon on a sheet
pan in the oven.  I have started to bake more bacon than I need at a time
and put what I don't need at the moment in a plastic baggy and leave it
in the fridge for use later.  Bacon bits are so yummy in salads and over
baked potatoes, sautéed green beans and more.

So that's it.  A simple, uncomplicated soup that delivers big flavor
and is yummy in the tummy on a cool fall evening.


By the way, Bentley enjoyed a spoonful of this soup, but
mostly he just loved the bacon ;-)

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley


4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I wish I loved to cook. I'd eat better. It's overcast here, but still pretty warm.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my very favorite soups to cook!!!! I love it and I usually serve it with a bit of crumbled bacon on top. I did NOT know that about leeks-about splitting them and the sand! Thanks for the info! I don't use the green part either and always felt a bit wasteful tossing it...glad to know someone else does that, too. You are ambitious with your cooking! Good for you- I could take a few lessons there. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so so yummy!!! Perfect for a cool fall night!!!

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...