Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Confessions of a Former Plant Assassin


I was not born into a family of plant assassins.  My parents were meticulous
and creative gardeners.  Daddy was always especially fond of growing roses.
He would nurture them and then take photos of their beauty.  Mom had a
green thumb too.  Some neighbor would give her a cutting and Mom would
work her magic and the garden would be full of whatever it was she had received.
Our yard was always a showcase.  

My grandparents on both sides always had thriving vegetable gardens.  They
had rain barrels and would use the water to keep their gardens moist. 
Composting was what they practiced and preached.  Grandmother Marie,
my Mom's mom, would go out into the garden in the late afternoon and 
collect greens for a fabulous salad all summer long.  

So what happened to me????  I never intended to be a plant assassin.
I always had good intentions.  In the early spring, my enthusiasm would
run high and I would head to the nursery.  When I look back at my life,
I realize that while I wanted to have a lovely garden, I truly never had the
time to devote to it to properly nurture and maintain it.  My work and other
responsibilities kept me so busy.  Gardening became what my Mom would
call, an after thought.  When a plant came home with me from the garden
center, it's days were numbered.  Sad, but true.




Now that I have more time to devote to a garden, things have changed.  I fuss,
and I nurture.  While I am out in the early morning with my mug of coffee and
with Bentley, I inspect.  I check soil moisture.  And .... hopefully no one can 
hear me when I do this .... I talk to them too.  

I read garden books now.  I check out the internet for care tips.  My family
up in heaven must be pleased.  Their offspring has finally learned her lesson.
Plants will no longer need to fear for their lives when they come home
with me.




There is such a sense of contentment in a garden.  It is a place to visit 
where the problems of the world just don't take root.  The birds are singing,
the bees buzzing, and I can hear my neighbor's wind chimes softly
ringing in the background.  The atmosphere is soft and welcoming and
so very therapeutic.  It's my happy place!



While I have become more comfortable with my ability to sustain
flowers, I have a new challenge ....




Tomatoes!  I have two tomato plants!!  They are growing and so far
they seem to be thriving.  I keep encouraging them.  When I talk to
them I whisper ~ grow strong and healthy and produce lots of tomatoes.

Hopefully, they are listening.  




I have spent some time on YouTube checking out gardening
tips.  I found this video about petunias that I found helpful.
Hope you enjoy these tips, if you don't already know them.

Have a wonderful day y'all!


Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



10 comments:

  1. that's great! I'm just now having to give up my roses. I lost the battle to spider mites. This is the 2nd summer of horrendous bouts with them, and nothing seems to be working but horribly toxic chemicals that I/we have to spray every other week, and I just refuse. None of the safe/organic stuff worked. I give up. Le sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to your local garden center and pick up some lady bugs. I have used these and they love to eat mites! No harsh chemicals, and no more spraying. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Love your story. I love to garden and since retirement I am in full swing. I talk to my plants too.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know I am friends with a plant whisperer!

      Delete
  3. It's really looking good -- I'm a plant assassin too -- it's good to know there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading the title of your post and the first couple of lines, I laughed...a great big belly laugh!! Thanks so much for such an amusing and entertaining post!! I so enjoyed reading it!! I too came from a family of gardeners and I have slowly , after many years, come into my own...finding out the hard way too often, what works and what does not work in my mostly shady yard..... There is nothing like sitting outside at the end of the day and looking around at your garden and contemplating Life!! Don't you agree??? Happy Gardening!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! Sounds like we are kindred spirits and (excuse the pun) "late bloomers".

      Delete
    2. I used to be an assassin too! Slowly but surely I've come around. I'm sure your tomatoes will prosper! My mom always planted petunias, thanks for the memories! We'd love to have you join us over at Vintage Charm Party #137! https://bit.ly/2Jzy7ON
      Hope to see you there! xo Kathleen

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...