Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Back Home Again


We are back home after a long weekend having fun in both Austin
and Houston.  We spent a couple of days at Barton Creek Resort,
our favorite place in Austin.  We stay at Omni Hotels so often that
we get upgraded rooms now and this time we enjoyed a really
beautiful and grand suite overlooking the hills of Austin.  Bentley
loved it too because there was lots of room for him to run around,
 toss his favorite little stuffed elephant, and chase after it.

We had some great meals too.  Austin is such a foodie town and
we are chipping away at our list of spots to try.  On Saturday night, we
went to Matt's Famous El Rancho.  This place was referred to us by
one of David's golf partners who lives in New Orleans, but visits 
Austin often.  We had great Margaritas from fresh lime juice (not
from a mix) and the best chicken mole I have ever eaten.  The restaurant
has been operating since 1952.  You can read about it's history HERE.



After our fun stay in Austin, we packed up the Yukon and headed to
Houston.  David was playing in a golf tournament there.  It's always fun
for us to visit Houston because that is where we met and have lots of
happy memories.  We had a suite at the Omni there too and I felt
pampered once again.  

Every time we go to Houston, I start to think that we should get
a little condo West University.  I get so nostalgic.  What I really wish
is that my old apartment complex on Memorial Drive would go condo.
I had the most adorable apartment there in this New Orleans styled
complex in this lush treed spot on Memorial Drive.  My apartment had
long Southern Colonial windows like my current house does and a 
charming front porch too.  HERE is a picture from their website.
My apartment was on the first floor in the building on the left.
My next door neighbor Connie and I used to take long walks on
Memorial Drive with our dogs after dinner each night.  Ah, great
memories!  I moved from there to Virgina when David and I got
married.  

So here we are, back home once again.  I am finishing up a pile
of laundry from our trip.  It's back to daily workouts and a healthy
diet after all the excess of vacation.  It's fun to get away, but also
feels good to get back into the routine at home.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley





14 comments:

  1. I clicked on the link and that apt. complex is gorgeous. I have a question, do you take Bentley to the restaurants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't take Bentley to restaurants unless they have outdoor areas where they are welcome. I will say, that more and more restaurants have patio areas that are dog friendly. Bentley stayed behind in our suite back at the resort. He just curls up and takes a nap until we get back. He's really very mellow.

      Delete
  2. Love the apartment complex you lived in. So sweet and lots of character. Glad Bentley has places to go and stay with you too. Love when places are nice and pet friendly. Looks like you had a great time. That Mexican restaurant sounded fabulous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to get an apartment there. Typically they have a long waiting list because it's so pretty and the location is ideal. Most of the residents stay for years.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to Austin in ages. Imagine it's still very hot there too.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very hot! I can't wait for the cooler temps and am hoping they are not too far away!!

      Delete
  4. Sound like you had fun. I love Austin and Mexican food! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had the Queso Bob Armstrong at Matt's. It is not listed on the menu but is sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did and I agree it is very delicious! It was one of the most haves that David's golf buddy told him about.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place to have an apartment....
    I will remember that place to eat...we go to Austin ever so often and have a grand that plans to move there for college next yr...we'll take her there to eat when we visit her...by then, bet she will have places to take US. :)
    "Hi, Bentley...you are so good to nap while your owners go out to eat...good boy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep posting spots in Austin as we visit them. You will have so much fun going there, especially for the football games!

      Delete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...