Thursday, May 8, 2014

Spring and Summer Porch Ideas



I am looking at decorating ideas for my back porch.  When we
moved into our home last August we were so busy unpacking
that all we did was hang the porch swing and place our wicker
furniture out there.  But this year I want to spend more time
making it a fun and inviting spot, so I am hunting through 
magazines and the internet for ideas.



This is a wonderful and calm spot.  Sitting on this porch with a cold drink 
is like being whisked away to a tropical resort.  



All of our wicker furniture is white, but I would like to add some more
color to kick it up a notch.  




I love all the pops of color on this porch.  I don't know if I would paint 
all of the furniture in a bright color, maybe a couple of chairs.  Love the
toile and the check, but then I always do.  This rug is fun too.  



As you can see in the third picture from the top, I have a red brick
floor on the porch.  Currently all of the pillows are in pink and green
floral patterns, so a green and white stripe like this one might be
a good way to ground the space while working with that brick.
I think I will start hunting for something like this.




I want to add lots of plants to the porch and while I would love lots of
flowering plants, I also know that I will be limited by the shady space
and the hot and humid south Texas summer temps.  If any of you have
ideas for potted plants I will be thrilled to get suggestions.  I do like the
variation of greens and deep reds I see here.  




As you can see my porch swing has pillows in more muted floral
prints based on soft pinks and greens.  I want to punch this up a bit
with more bright pinks in solids and geometrics.  




See what I mean?  I love the bright pops of color.  I think I can add
some brighter colors to give my existing pillows a nice contrast and
a newer and fresher look.  I am not one to toss everything away and
start over.  I like to incorporate what I already have in a new way.




This is a fun terrace.  We should be wearing Lilly Pulitzer dresses and 
drinking Cosmos or something fun like that while chatting away the
evening.


Looking at all these pics makes me realize that I have my work cut
out for me.  So I better run!  See y'all soon and maybe I'll have more
porch ideas by then.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley









10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a couple chairs painted in a fun color - have fun making some changes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love porches and yours is already wonderful. I went on a historic home tour the other day that you would have loved. She had lots of vintage wicker, toile, checks...all wonderful beautiful things. :) Have you tried macho ferns? That was new to me last year and they do very well in Texas. You could also put spathiphyllum (peace lily) out there. I have red geraniums in the shade on my patio. They get bright light but don't swelter so much from the heat that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! I will check out that fern and the lily. Geraniums are a good idea too.

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to figure out what to do about my porch this year also. It is always such a hard thing to figure out. Thanks for all the inspiring photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun place to decorate. Wish I was closer and we'd sew up a bunch of pillows!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post with so many great ideas!! I am drawn towards the colorful ones...

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely porch's great places to sit around and relax and watch the world go by.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing better than sitting on the porch in the summer. I like the idea of adding some new pillows and mixing them with your existing ones. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas. Hoping tomorrow will go ok for you. This thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ruffle pillows, SO COZY ,

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...