Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Yankee Doodle Pie Bird


Anyone who knows me knows that although I love to cook, I am 
not a very good baker.  So, I have decided to start baking more often
to improve my baking skills.





I think I never put much effort into baking because I seldom eat dessert.
I seem to like savory versus sweet.  There is one dessert I love though
and that is apple pie.  When I was in Fredericksburg, TX recently I 
found this cute little pie bird all decorated up for the 4th of July.  Of 
course he came home with me.  He's my Yankee Doodle Pie Bird.
He's my inspiration to bake an apple pie.  What could be more
American than that for the 4th?





I have had the best baking luck with this cookbook, so I am using it for
the recipe for apple pie.  No, I am not using the faux apples in the basket
on top of the vintage scale ;-)





Here is my apple of choice ~ the Granny Smith.





Fortunately my Aunt Susan called me while the pie was in the oven
so that was a good distraction and kept me from peeking in the oven
every few minutes. 

Sorry ~ just couldn't wait!


I know Bentley should not have sweets, but don't you think I
could give him the tiniest taste?

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



13 comments:

  1. An itty bitty bite for your itty bitty baby couldn't hurt. How did it come out by the way? It looks scrumptious. My favorite pie is peach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is great! Most baking récipes come out perfect, specially the carrot cake and cookies. I love the choc.chips. Wish I had a piece of that peach pie!
    Happy 4th! Your kitchen looks so lovely and patriotic!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often stew apples but I like to mix red and green apples together .
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! A friend bought me a black pie bird for Christmas and it's so cute! I haven't used mine yet, and now that I'm gluten-free, I don't know if I ever will. sniff, sniff Your pie looks delish! My favorite baked goods are, were, pies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a copy of that cookbook for so many years it looks like it has been through a tornado. I bet the pie was delicious. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cookbook is my all time favorite also. It is literally falling apart. But, I can always seem to find a good and successful recipe in there. Your pie looks delish!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I am not a baker at all. Love the pie bird! So cute! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan ~ I am a savory person rather than sweet, but I do like a piece of apple pie every now and then. Love your little pie bird. I think that Yankee Doodle Bentley should have little taste ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pie bird is just the cutest thing! Congrats on making the apple pie. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. That adorable pie bird would make anyone want to bake! Your pie looks yummy, and as I can see from the empty plate, delicious!

    Happy 4th of July, Susan!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful 4th of July posting inspiring everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love apple pie too! And that little bird is so cute! Looks yummy! I'm not good with pie crust, I always cheat using the frozen pillsbury, they're ok but nothing beats a fluffy homemade one. You have inspired me to do a little practicing as well!. Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pie birds are so cute. And then of course, yummy apple pie! Have a terrific fourth, Jane

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...