Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Vote for Senate Bean Soup


On the menu every day at the United States Senate is 
Senate Bean Soup.  



Why is it on the menu every day?  Well, one version is that it became a
tradition when the recipe was submitted many years ago by fellow Idahoan, Senator 
Fred Dubois.  His recipe included mashed potatoes, no doubt Idaho potatoes.
The soup was quite popular and the became a traditional menu item.



The current recipe has eliminated the mashed potatoes and
has substituted sauteed onions instead.  I have added diced onions,
carrots, celery and garlic to my version for a bit more flavor.



When the weather cools off, it's a real favorite at our house.

Susan's Version of Senate Bean Soup

1 Pound Navy Beans
2 Quarts Water
1 Smoked Ham Hock
1 Diced Onion
2 Diced Celery Ribs (tops included)
2 Diced Carrots
2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

Rinse beans thoroughly under hot running water.  Place beans in
soup pot and cover with water.  Bring to boil.  Remove from heat, cover
and let beans soak for one hour. Drain beans and reserve the soaking water.
 Add the beans and reserved water to the pot along with the two quarts of 
water and the ham hock.  Bring to boil, reduce heat to lowest simmer, cover
 and continue to cook for two hours.  After two hours, add the diced
 onion, celery, carrots and garlic.  Replace the cover on the pot and cook
for one additional hour.

Remove the ham hock from the pot and cut off the meat into chunks.
Pour off about a cup of the soup and puree in a blender.  Return this
pureed portion to the pot along with the ham.  It is ready to serve
and to enjoy.  This recipe will serve six.  Enjoy!

I am joining ~


Bentley doesn't eat the beans of course, but does like a bit
of the smoked ham.  

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley






13 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm....That sounds good now that the weather has cooled off some. Will try it.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd cast a vote for that one! Save me a bowl!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup sounds great and I love the blue and white pottery. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks delicious. Perfect for the cooler weather we're having. I'm sure my little Fuzzy pom would love it, too, hocks, beans, onions, garlic and all. Neither he, nor I, are finicky eaters, but both of us are already full of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love ham and bean soup, Susan. I make it just about like you do. I never realiized that the recipe originally called for mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookmarked it! I like everything in this soup. Yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe. I bet Bentley likes a little over his Kibble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! I love soup in the fall. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy this soup, too. I love the mug in your place setting! What make is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased this mug and several others in Williamsburg, Virginia at one of the gift shops on the site. I love them and thanks for asking.
      Susan and Bentley

      Delete
  9. Love me some beans! And it's funny but I was just thinking about picking up ham hocks the other day. Think I'll be making some bean soup soon:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yeah!..looks yummy to my tummy...I vote "yes"....love this post and photo's and got to try this soup,gonna "pin"...
    I'm here following back and thank you for your sweet comment and following LoblollyLane we are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan and Bently, This is just the yummiest looking soup! Thanks for the back story. What a great little piece of foodie history!I really love all the aromatics you added to your! Thanks for joining ON THE MEMU MONDAY with Senate Bean Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never heard of Senate Soup! It does deserve a vote for sure! Hope your little Bently is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...