Friday, October 20, 2017

Feeling Grounded Once More


Going back to my childhood home and visiting with family and friends
has been the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time.  It has
given me a sense of connection and peace that has been lacking for me.



Whoever said that you can't go home again was wrong.  If one expects to 
find home exactly as it once was, you will no doubt be disappointed.  Things
change and people are not the same or perhaps are no longer there, that is
true.  What I did discover though, is that some things do indeed remain the 
same and old friends still share precious moments in common.  It's just
so therapeutic to reach out to dear family and friends and to keep those
connections close to your heart.




It's comforting to tend to your roots.  It's made me feel stronger and
more balanced once again.   



If you are lucky enough to grow where you were once planted, I
envy you.  If you are like me and have been scattered to the winds
for much of your life ~ go home again and dig those roots in once
again.  It will give you the strength to carry on.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

12 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I moved back home after being away for 20 years for work, and we are very happy here. I take vacations back to the city where I spent 20 years working. Sandi is so right. Home is where the heart is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, Susan. It is hard for me to go home anymore-the old farmhouse that I spent my life in-burned and gone---the barns torn down and taken away. My family is mostly gone and the land has been sold. While I loved looking at the mountains I grew up in there was also a deep sense of sadness and loss for me. But, under it all-the love that was there remains and warms my heart with the memories of my dad and other family members. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you were able to do that, but for some they cannot. Our town has changed so much. Friends gone and Family more changed. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I was born and raised in Sonoma California. With the recent wildfires devastating the Napa-Sonoma area, I believe I will never go home again because it will never be the same. Our 50th high school reunion was scheduled for May 18th, I had planned to attend but no longer have the desire to. I'm like you, a traveler searching for roots. My heart has never really found its true home, but still I search. I'll know it when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear you got to go back to your home and see family and friends. Glad that gave you a sense of peace. Have a great weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly there are no friends and neighbors where I grew up. The neighborhood is completely changed. To get a sense of family I am into genealogy. Through it I feel close to my
    three grandparents I never knew and closer to my grandmother who I barely knew. Happy for you.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww...I’m happy to read that you have found a bit of peace through your visit. I’m one of those people who never had the guts to leave the Kansas City area. The two times I tried both ended in disaster. I think those were signs that I’m to stay tethered to the life I’ve always known. You, on the other hand, have been brave. You’ve stepped out of your comfort zone, willingly or not, to explore the possibilities. I admire you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true. It can be healing to re-visit the place where we began. I think we all have that desire to know where we come from. I visit my "Motherland" as often as I Can. It helps to reset my compass and send me on my way. I enjoy your blog very mush. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful and very well written post. I am so glad that you had such a positive experience visiting with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post glad going home gave you a up lift.. with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...