Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Vintage Comfort Foods


I've been going through vintage cookbooks and recipe files looking for
old well loved recipes.   Some recipes are great as they are, and others
can use a bit of tweaking.



It's also fun to see what was popular years ago.  Gladys Taber 
instructed a generation with her cookbooks and magazine articles.  I 
can understand why some thought she was a model for Barbara Stanwyk's
character in the movie Christmas in Connecticut.  Gladys had a way
of bringing the joys of country living into everyone's home.




It will be fun trying some of these old recipes.  Just found a recipe card for
Welsh Rarebit or Rabbit ~ what is the correct name???  However it is
called, melted cheese over toast is always a winner for me.  After I 
finish going through some of these recipes, I will share them with you too.

Have a happy Wednesday y'all!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley 


13 comments:

  1. I hope you let us know, if you try some things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will, and I will share the recipes too.

      Delete
  2. Jello salad? That always reminds me of old fashioned recipes and my in laws eat it every single day. How about minced meat? My grandmother loved it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law loved minced meat pies! There are lots of great old recipes that we have forgotten about. I think it would be nice to bring some back with perhaps some gentle tweaking.

      Delete
  3. Welsh Rarebit is one of my favorites - yummmmm!! I must look up Gladys Taber and see if I might want to order one of her books. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are no longer in print, but you can find them on eBay.

      Delete
  4. Are you telling me Welsch rabbit is cheese melted over toast???

    Ok...totally thought it was actually rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how it got it's name, but it is basically melted cheese over toast. It has some other ingredients that give it a distinctive flavor. It's quite yummy. I will share a couple of the recipes.

      Delete
  5. Just LOVE those old cookbooks! Have many myself! They are fun to read!!,W

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love looking through old cookbooks and recipes...found an intriguing web site called recipecurio.com. Lots of old recipes clipped from newspapers. xo

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...