Thursday, April 8, 2010

Navigating by the Stars


I am once again joining Suzanne at her blog The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingy Thursday. My Vintage Thingy for today belongs to my husband David. It was given to him by his late father. Inside this antique box is a wonderful instrument used by
sailors.

This instrument is called a sextant. It was invented in 1757 by John Bird, an English instrument maker. It was the most accurate manual instrument for charting the stars. Being able to accurately chart the stars is critical for the navigation of sailing ships.



Here is a photo of John Brawley Freeman, my husband's late father. John was a graduate of the US Coast Guard Academy.


This is a drawing of the "Danmark" a 253' full-rigged ship built in Lolland, Denmark in 1932. She was based in New London, Connecticut and more than 5,000 Coast Guards were trained on this ship. John was one of those cadets.


My husband David dearly loved his Dad, and these items are treasures to him. As one who loved John and loves sailing, they are very precious to me too. I hope you have enjoyed my Vintage Thingy for this Thursday. Please stop by and visit Suzanne our lovely hostess and the other participants. Ahoy Matey!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

14 comments:

  1. The sextant is wonderful antique instrument. David's father wanted to make sure you two never get lost as long as you can follow the stars. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post. I had heard the word sextant before but had no clue what it was. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful piece, and even better that it is from family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting old box and instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to own something so old!!! Thank you for sharing with us!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is truly an awesome antique instrument! It is wonderful, what an incredible and cherished family treasure! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post and story. I am glad you shared this as I am not familiar with this instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful your husband has his dad's things, these are great and I love how they are treasures and important to your family. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat post, Susan and your father-in-law was a very distinguished looking man.
    xo
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how interesting! Vintage and an heirloom and beloved. It doesn't get any better than that I don't think!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful family treasures..I'm so proud that you have them and love them. Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend..and as a p.s. Little Bentley is the most adorable little sweetie I've ever seen.
    Will you give him a special hug from me..

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely treasure! How lovely to have all the documentation to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful treasure and story! I can't get over that cadets were trained on a full rigged sailing ship! The sextant just fits right in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is perfect what a nice tribute to his Dad. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...