Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Eggs and Soldiers


I have always loved soft boiled eggs, and especially when they are served
in an egg cup.  I like the whites to be firm, but the yolks runny.  Here is the
easiest method to cook the egg so that it turns out just the way I like it.

First I bring water in a saucepan to a full boil, then I turn the heat down
so that the water to a simmering boil.  Then I carefully slip the 
egg into the water and set my timer for anywhere between 5 and 7 minutes.
The perfect egg for me is cooked 6 minutes by this method.




Then I take a serrated knife and tap it firmly at the top of the egg and
I can easily remove the top with the knife, leaving the exposed white
and a runny yolk.  




I cut my toast into long strips that can then be easily dipped into the yolk.
In England, these strips are called soldiers.  Isn't that cute?  I love the
charming names that the British give to things in every day life.  They
are so whimsical!



I am having a cup of Earl Grey tea with cream and I store my tea in this
little red phone booth tin. 

Cheers to eggs and soldiers!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley 



7 comments:

  1. This looks good, but I just can't bring myself to eat runny eggs. I am afraid of salmonella. Yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love medium soft eggs.. but most never catch them on time. I used to clean house for a older man he ate them most mornings in a egg cup. This post reminded me of him... blessings with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and I love soft boiled eggs but seldom make them. Maybe I'll start using my egg coddler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to smile at this post Susan, it brought back so many memories.
    My gran used to call them dippy eggs and served them with the toast soldiers, buttery and delicious, in a Beatrix Potter egg cup :)
    Sweet.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete

Bentley and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...