Monday, July 9, 2018

A Retro Summer Cucumber Salad Recipe


One of my readers asked me if I had a cucumber salad recipe,  
Well, yes I do, and this time it's a bit of a twist on my Mama's old
recipe.

I can remember lots of dinners on the screened porch in the summer.
One that was served quite frequently was marinated and grilled Teriyaki
flank steak, fresh corn on the cob and cucumber salad.  Cucumbers are
so abundant and so refreshing in the summer, and I sure did love this 
salad.



My Mama's cucumber salad was very straight forward.  Thinly sliced
and peeled cucumber, thinly sliced onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper,
and a touch of sugar.  Mine is much the same with a couple of
changes.



In Mama's original recipe, she used either a white wine vinegar, or 
perhaps an apple cider one.  That was prior to her discovery of 
rice vinegar.  The rice vinegar is slightly sweeter and light, not at
all overpowering.  I also add a bit of dill weed which I think really
compliments the flavor of the cucumbers.



Don't forget a pinch of sugar!



Whisk it all together in a cute bowl, and ....



serve!  This salad is a great accompaniment to any grilled meat or
chicken, or just on it's own.  

Who wants to see my Teriyaki Flank Steak recipe???


Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley


7 comments:

  1. This sounds crispy and yummy. Perfect for hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a similar version of that all summer, too! I love the clean crispiness of the cukes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me Do! I want to see your teriyaki flank steak recipe!!! BTW, where did you get the cute little bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. RamonLOVES cucumber salad, but I hadn’t found a recipe I liked...until now! I just bought a nice, fat cucumber at Aldi this afternoon. Cucumber salad for dinner...using rice wine vinegar!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love cukes. I'll have to try this. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really enjoy cucumbers & tomatoe salad in the summer. I’m looking forward to trying yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delightful. Cucumbers just do not like me-they raise havoc in my system...wish I could try this recipe though! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...