Wednesday, April 22, 2015

For Safety in the Storm


Well, here we go again.  Little old Victoria is surrounded by storms.
We went through this several days last week and over the weekend.
We just had a thunderstorm this afternoon and another is on it's way.  
We are also in the tornado watch area.

Y'all know I am afraid of thunderstorms.  I did quite well (for me) 
during the last few big ones last Saturday.   I have learned to be
prepared for the long stretches of thunder and lightning and am now
always at the ready.



This is my safe and secure zone.  I used to go into the master bathroom
because it is the only room in the house without huge windows.  But I
read that it is not good to be near plumbing during an electrical storm,
so I moved into the hallway between the dressing room and our 
bedroom.  Still some windows in the bedroom and the dressing room,
but I can huddle in the corner if things get too rough, or go into the
linen closet right behind the pillow.

So here's the set up ~

Comfy quilt to wrap up in
Soft pillow
***
Battery powered candles
***
iPad for music to cancel out the thunder
***
Sleep mask if lightning is too severe
***
Flashlight to read by if power goes out
***
Fun book to read  (thank you Mary Kay Andrews)
***
Two teddy bears (one is a tiny one for clutching)
***
My cell phone to keep aware of where the storm
is headed and ….

to stay in touch with my "sister" Robin who stays in
close touch with me throughout these storms.
Bless her heart.  She texts me through the worst of the storm.
Love that girl friend and my adopted "sister".




But this is the phrase I cling to and the one that gives me the
most comfort during these times ….




We are supposed to be having severe weather for the next couple of days,
so I probably won't be posting.  Looking forward to clear skies and 
sunny days.

By the way ~ sometimes Bentley will sit with me and sometimes he 
moves to one of the chairs in our bedroom.  He is not afraid of these 
storms and I don't want him to be scared either.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley



12 comments:

  1. Awwwww, sister. Just want to be there anyway I can, to make it better for you! Love you, and text me when you need to. I am here all evening! Love you lots!
    Me
    p.s. Bentley, Aunt Robin thinks you should hunker down in the pretty quilt with your Momma, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet that you have a warm paw to hold, and a great friend to talk you through it all. Wishing you lots of sun shiny days!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be afraid it will be okay. We do not get thunder storms in Los Angeles, so I am very happy about that. I am deathly afraid of them and will go into a room where I can't see the flash lightening.. My dogs go crazy with fire works and if we had thunder I would have to give them tranquilizers.
    Sounds like you have a safe haven . Just put your tunes on and relax or have a stiff drink and t will be okay.
    Hope they leave soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you have to endure such fear but you are doing a wonderful job of riding it through. I don't have any words of wisdom but I hope each storm eases your fear a little bit until it lifts all together..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Storms like that are so scary. I'm glad you are prepared!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is something Kimberly at Nutbrown Cottage post on her fear of storms. http://www.nutbrowncottage.com/2015/04/exhausted.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Susan, oh my! Please don't send them my way! lol I'm with you, as you know, about scary storms. Barbara shared the link to my post about a storm we just went through and how I deal with the stress. I hope it helps you. I wish we weren't fearful about them, but I think we both know that it's realistic to fear danger. And these storms DO pose danger. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so scary, Susan, to have those big powerful storms....especially if you don't like them to begin with. We are kind of protected her and our area has never had a direct hit by a tornado or anything. Did you ever try ear-buds with music playing while the storm is going on? I wonder if that would help at all? Glad you have Bentley there with you and glad he is not afraid at all. I don't know what that fabric is on that pillow but I absolutely LOVE it!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for peace for you! I used to be so afraid but thru the years have gotten to where I am not so terrified. Thinking of you.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing a good job facing your fears and finding a do-able way to get thru them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my we have been receiving buckets of rain and hail here in F.W. I have a closet under the staircase that we have deemed our tornado safety zone. I hope it never has to be used. Stay safe and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...