Monday, June 25, 2018

DIY Birdhouse Chandelier




I had a metal chandelier that belonged to my Mom.  I didn't have a
good spot for it in the house, so I decided to hang it in the potting
shed.  It has seven arms and a spike in each one to hold a candle.
No way wax candles will stand up to the heat in the shed, so I thought
of an alternative.  I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased five small
unfinished bird houses and painted them in fun colors.



This is not an original idea, rather it's a take off from a MacKenzie-Childs
chandelier that is much more stylish, but also costs $595.00.





I had fun painting the houses while watching old movies.  The 
chandelier will have a better backdrop when I decide what I want
to do with the walls.



I have been thinking about putting up peel and stick wallpaper between
the studs, and painting the studs white.  Whether I decide to paint and
or apply wallpaper, that will have to wait until it gets a bit cooler.  Of
course, that may not happen until Fall, but I can always hope for a
stray cool day.   Whatever I decide to do, I will share the application
with y'all.

The other project that will be happening sooner, is to install windows.
I found just exactly what I need and am putting in an order now.
David has promised to install them and add the trim around the
windows too, so I am excited about that!



This little shed has been both a labor of love, and is giving new life
to odds and ends I don't have a place for.  These are things I love and
didn't want to give up, so this little shed is providing a new home for
them.  It's my shabby chic she shed.  A project full of old treasures
and happy memories.


Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley








12 comments:

  1. That chandelier is SO adorable! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I love it, Susan! What a cute idea---and so much cheaper than the almost $600 alternative. lol
    Wall paper will most likely not stick to the blandex unless you prime it first. If you are going to paint it make sure you use Binz or one of those things on it -otherwise you will get a lot of bleed-through. I used to sell it wholesale when I worked for Georgia-Pacific.
    It is durable though!!! Hope you have a good night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I think that I have given up on the idea of the wallpaper. I will paint when the weather gets cooler one day (probably months from now).

      Delete
  3. I don't think anything could be cuter, Susan. I love it! I like your idea for the shed too. Oh, you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous! Always wanted a she shed.....too bad my husband thinks I've already taken over too much of the house lol I love your chandelier and can't wait to see the rest of the plans. Be sure to drop by Vintage Charm on Wednesday with this one! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! When we purchased our house, the shed was already here, so I was really lucky. When we lived in Idaho, there was a potting shed addition added to our garage. I loved that one too.

      Delete
  5. Love that adorable chandelier and your cute she shed. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan. That is such a cute idea and it looks really pretty. What a great idea to have a small place for just yourself with all your pretty treasures around you. I would imagine that little sweet Bentley loves it too..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...