Friday, August 22, 2014

I Am Afraid ~ Are You?


As I gaze upon the mini violets that are happily blooming on my
kitchen windowsill I am thinking about how I should be happy and
content.  Everything in my little world is solid and happy.  I have a
loving husband of 25 years.  I could not love him more.  I have an
adorable dog who brings me joy each and every day.  He is the
dearest companion.  I love him with my whole heart.  Our home is
comfy and content.  We live in a nice neighborhood with friendly
neighbors.  Why then would I worry?  Why am I afraid?

Of all the potential threats to our happiness, our security, the 
safety of our family and friends and our way of life there is one
threat that scares me the most ...

ISIS or ISL or whatever they choose to call themselves.  I am
probably more concerned than the average American about this
militant group.  After spending three years living in the Middle East 
and spending most of my life as the daughter of a man who 
spent all of his career in international business and regularly reported
to Washington, my antenna is up.  The group that beheaded 
freelance journalist James Foley and is threatening to behead 
another journalist is a well funded, well organized group who
have recruited foreign nationals into their ranks.  Speaking to
lawmakers at a House on Foreign Affairs committee, Brett
McGurk a deputy assistant secretary of state said of ISIS,
"It is Al Qaeda in it's doctrine, ambition and increasingly in it's
threat to the US interest.  In fact, it is worse than Al Qaeda."
source.  

In addition, Army General Martin Dempsey chairman of the 
Joint Chief of Staff  told reporters:
"This is an organization that has an apocalyptic, end-of-days
strategic vision which will eventually have to be defeated."



What will be our response to such an organization?   In fact it's no longer just
a terrorist organization (if that's not bad enough)  it has become, from what
I have read, a full blown army.  An army has one of two purposes.  It
is formulated to protect it's citizens, or it is formulated to expand it's
territories.  ISIS has made their intent known.  They don't follow any
diplomatic rules.  They won't be satisfied until they over turn the entire region.
Once they achieve that objective, what will their next one be?

In the famous words of Lord John Acton ~
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupt
absolutely.

While I don't like to bring up unpleasantries on a Friday before
what will hopefully be a happy and carefree weekend, when is
a good time to bring up a topic such as this?  I have not forgotten
September 11, 2001.  I do not want our nation to have to
experience anything remotely like that ever again.  Our freedom
is priceless.  It is sought after.  It is to be cherished and protected.
We cannot afford to lose it.

If you have any interest in studying more of the thought of
Lord John Acton, here is the link to the Acton Institute.

God Bless us all,
Susan and Bentley



19 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your African Violet. Wish I had a good place to put some. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think most of these militant groups have an "end of days" strategy to what they do. Which to me is delusional. And if that could be correct, we're dealing with dangerous militants with "and end of days strategy" who are possibly also delusional. Now THAT'S even scarier! Doesn't matter what day of the week it is or if it's before a pleasant weekend, they are working 24/7. So we should take note of that.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is scary all we hear about this terrorist groups who what they want is to end western civilization. We just have to pray a lot and be very supportive of the USA and to wimp governments who think politically correct only...or love to scream 'racisim' cause it's convenient!
    I hope we don't end civilization as we know it too and I mean All the American continent, and Europe.
    Thanks for been so brave as to address this situation we live now.
    God bless us and let us pray!
    Have a serene weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is scary. These groups are scary. The people in the groups are scary. What they did to that poor journalist is atrocious. Although I keep up on the news, I don't dwell on it. I know that I personally can't do anything about it. I don't bury my head in the sand, but I try to focus on the moment that is here and now. xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I are also more concerned than the average American it seems. I guess even our government thinks that if they turn a blind eye this will all go away? Or they just really don't care? I don't know. All I know is that I'm thoroughly disgusted by the current administration and our vacationing president. I don't know what the answer is...praying is all we can do. And vote for leaders who I feel will uphold the constitution and safety of this country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just blogged about them too, yesterday.... I couldn't keep silent any more . it was too heavy on my heart..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. Be afraid but don't show it. If you sit home and cower, they win. Remember the poster "Keep Calm and Carry On". If they attack us we will fight like the British did in WW2. We shall never surrender. I have my emergency backpacks ready to go if I have to evacuate. Other wise I will go on with my crafts and books and wait and see. I only watch Peter Jennings news at night. Life is short any way so go have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a terrible time we live in. So much evil all around us. I think we just need to trust in those who protect us and the greatest protector of them all is our Lord God. He sees all this, He knows all. The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. The Bible even tells us to pray for our enemies, not because of what they are doing to us, but for what they are doing to their own eternal souls.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne ♥

    ReplyDelete


  8. of course we all feel afraid in differing degrees dependent on our level of sensitivity.. the world has vibrations - which if we could see them is like a stone thrown in a lake.. thats the best visual I can give to the feeling I am trying to describe. I think you have a sensitive nature as many of us do Susan and so you feel as if things are Odd and they are but not all feel it. I'm not certain if they are the lucky ones or if we who are aware are..

    deep breathing and surrounding yourself in white light that you visualize should help you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say keep calm and trust God. When I saw a picture on a news website of a Christian father clinging to the headless body of his seven year old daughter I began letting fear set in right away, and questions were poping up in my mind as well. What if that were my grandchild? How can I go on in my daily routine of living peacefully while thinking of what other Christians are enduring at the hands of these mad men? After much prayer and seeking God, the best we can do is pray fervently..........Lord your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. We are in a spiritual warfare to be sure. And I am sorry for some who don't believe, but I see many signs that we are in the last days. Jesus commanded us to watch and look for them. Jesus also commanded us to pray for our enemies, which I sometimes find hard to do, but we must. Peace and comfort through the power of the Holy Spirit be with you friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you...and we need to pray, pray, pray...not just for our own safety, but for our country and yes..for our enemies. Lord have mercy.

      Delete
  10. I have to be honest. I found this blog entry very depressing. I know bad things happen & are happening all the time but I come to your blog to be inspired, to get away from the news & all it's gloom & doom reporting. I don't know that this is a platform for these topics but it's your blog & you have to do what you feel is right. I will do what I have to do to stay positive in a world where it's getting harder & harder to do all the time. Especially since now even one of my favorite blogs has turned into a news forum. :( I'll peek in from time to time to see if there's something upbeat to read. Take care & God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I am afraid, and we should all be watchful too. Thank you for addressing this new faction of evil doers......why isn't the rest of the world in a rage over this gruesome act??? Pray, pray, pray for our world leaders to stand up to this evil.......I am sickened by all of it......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you decided to include more serious topics in your blog. I enjoy the pretty and comforting homemaking type of topics very much, but also take these threats seriously as you do. And I'm glad to see other commenters think deeply on these matters, too. Things are really getting scary now. But whatever happens, we are not alone, because we have God. And one another.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. It is a very scary time in our world and no one at the White House seems to be taking it seriously .

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are expressing, and very eloquently, thoughts that my husband and I share and I have to say that it's at least reassuring to know that we aren't alone in our thinking. The continued lack of leadership is beginning to effect America's relationship with the rest of the world. We are being perceived as weak. Not good. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan,
    Such a sad story of the journalist. It is a scary time for all of us. So much evil in the world today. I am glad you shared your thoughts on this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found it to be so sad and I am very afraid. I'm reading on the news that ISIS is targeting Chicago. Well that's only 20 minutes away! I find it so much more scary because our current administration is so inept at dealing with this or any other crisis. I want a President who leads and protects us not go golfing and have his head in the sand. ISIS is coming for us, and they have said so! Putting our heads in the sand isn't going to cut it anymore, people need to be involved, it's the only way to protect our selves, and to pray big time! God must be crying seeing how the world is turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes...I am very afraid...however, I know Who is in control, and when it is His time, He will TAKE control! However, I am not one to ignore the problems and call them depressing...I am praying and watching, and trying to ease such burdens as come to my attention in my area. Mostly I am fearful for the young ones in my family. If the US continues to ignore the problems, what will be left for my dear grands and greatgrands??
    God bless you for having the courage and conviction to write this post...it is most comforting to know that there are many of us here to support and pray for one another. Bloggers are the best!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...