Friday, May 4, 2018

It's Been A Very Tough Week


Last Friday, the younger sister of my very dear friend went into hospice.
Kathy and I have remained friends since childhood, despite the many 
moves and years since then.  We go back all the way to our Barbie doll
days.   Of course, years ago life was so much easier and what we
perceived as a problem back then, is nothing when viewing it from
a rear view mirror.  When we are young, we don't anticipate the death
of our grandparents, parents or aunts and uncles.  We certainly never
anticipate the death of a sibling or of a friend our own age.

The years go by so quickly, and even more so the older we get.
It's hard to believe that just one week ago, Kathy's younger sister
went into hospice because her lung cancer had spread so rapidly,
and her remaining days were few.  Kathy and I spoke on the phone
and texted one another daily.  We said prayers.  We hoped for the
best.  We were unwilling to accept that the end could be so near.

Yesterday, Kathy's sister passed away.  Too soon.  So final.  It's
over.  

As many times as I have been confronted with the death of a loved
one in the past eight years, I have not hardened to it's pain.  What I
have learned is that we are never guaranteed a tomorrow.  We spend 
so much of our lives planning for the future and longing for things
that are meaningless.  We spend hours of our lives worrying about
things that never happen.  We fret about what other's think or say
about us.  We often strive to live a life that we perceive is expected.

STOP

Don't waste anymore!  Live each day with intent.  Forget about
the petty arguments or trying to impress others, or the myriad of
unimportant silliness we often cling to.  Call your good friends.
Buy the flowers.  Appreciate all the good things in your life, and
trust me, there are good things.  Stop complaining.  Be grateful.
Decide to be a little ray of sunshine to everyone you meet
everyday.  It's all over far too fast, and none of us can afford to
waste a moment of this precious life.

God Bless,
Susan and Bentley

19 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Susan. It's tough, seeing a peer leave this earth before her time.

    I learned that lesson a long time ago about living each day, honoring each relationship, making those calls. We must never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that. We, or I should say I, sometimes forget to just savor the moment.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your friend and for you, too, because I know that HER pain is also YOUR pain. We have walked that walk way too many times ourselves as we lost good friends and relatives to disease, cancer or age. It is never an easy path to walk. Praying for some piece of mind for all of you. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Judy's sister and I are happy that her pain is now over. My friend had no idea the end was so near and it was a sad loss for everyone concerned.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear about your friend. One of the worse things about getting older is that more people that you know and love pass on. I agree we need to do what we can to heal any rifts in our lives with those we care about if we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I treasure my long term friends. We are all losing our parents now and some are losing their siblings too.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry, Susan, to hear about your friend passing away. Your words are so true - we don't know what tomorrow holds but we know God holds our future. Hugs and love to you.
    Blessings,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, sweet Shelia.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a dear friend in March, too soon, so I know how that feels. And, yes! I completely agree with you about living each day with intent. Forget pettiness! Be kind to everyone you see. Everyone is walking around with a burden you don’t know anything about, be nice, be kind, be thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so very sorry. Childhood innocence is as it is for a reason. Even as adults death is far to much for our hearts to bear. I lost a childhood-into-adulthood friend just 3 weeks ago, and I’m still in disbelief and pain. Seems like I’ll never quite get over it. For both our sakes, I hope we can to the extent that our lives are not held hostage by our overwhelming grief. My deepest sympathy to all who knew and loved her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. I agree, it's so hard to take it in. We just have to take it one day at a time.

      Delete
  7. Sorry for your loss. Memories-so bittersweet. It hurts to remember right now but later (it's a different length of time for everyone) they will be sweet, treasured and wonderful gifts. May God comfort you and all her loved ones.I try to hold onto these truths in times of grieving "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" Psalm 147:3 "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" Matt 5:4 "This world is not our home; we are looking forward to our everlasting home in heaven" Heb 13:14

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. I currently have lung cancer and I am undergoing chemo treatments. My Doctor is very pleased with my progress but I am having more tests on 5/21 to see how this large tumor is reacting to the chemo. Today was not a great day but I am alive so I have hope. I will remember your friend's family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very sad and sorry to hear of the death of your close good friend. You are correct, life is short, and we need to be aware that each and every day counts, no matter what, because there might not be a tomorrow for us, or a loved one. Your message made me realize that, and I thank you for that. I wish you well, and pray that each day gets softer for you, as you remember your friend, and some of your grief fades.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to read this, Susan. May your friend rest in peace and may you find solace. You are so right about living life fully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sorry to hear about the death of your friend. Your comments about life are very pertinent.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...