Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Obit of Thelma the Chicken


It is with great sadness that I must inform you of Thelma's passing.
As some of you may recall, Thelma lived next door with her three sister
hens.  But Thelma decided to hop the fence one day and make her self
at home in the our garden, much to Bentley's ire.

Despite the fact that Bentley chased her, pulled out her tail feathers
and tried to kill her on several occasions, Thelma still preferred to
fly the coop for the greener garden of Ash Tree Cottage.  Here 
she is enjoying her favorite spot on our front porch.  Day after day
she would rock away in my Grandma's old rocking chair.




This free ranging chicken had the heart and soul of a free Spirit.
She was always trying to broaden her horizon and cultivated
a palate for the different herbs and flowers of our garden. 




Some days she would visit several times and she did it so 
quietly that I would not know she was back, but Bentley
always found her.  She came so close to her demise so many
times in our yard and I was always running to her rescue.
As a consequence, Thelma and I bonded.  I grew to love her
and I think she liked me too because she would always 
snuggle close when I had to pick her up.



Her other sisters were quite content in the safety and comfort of their own 
yard and coop.  They were three home bodies, but not Thelma.  She was
the adventurous kind.




These girls had quite the spread of their own.  My neighbor owns two houses
and the chickens have the run of the garden of the house that they use to house 
visiting professors to Boise State University.  They get to visit with and be fed by
some of the great minds of the academic world lol.





  Just look at these pretty girls!





Thelma is gone now.  Sadly she became dinner for a wandering raccoon.
But her spirit lives on in my heart.





And two of the other girls are gone now too due to the same tragic end.
Now Beatrice is all alone.  She is an old hen now and does not 
get out and about as much as she used to.  

I am chicken sitting for Beatrice for the next several days.
 I enticed her out of her coop for a few hours this afternoon and
 she had some exercise walking around and clucking in the garden.
 Then she went back to the safety and comfort of her coop.
  I wonder if she misses Thelma and her other sisters?
 I sure do!

Rest in peace dear Thelma.  You made a big impression
on me and my readers too.

Bentley ~ do you remember when Thelma laid an egg in our
backyard for you?  She did it more than once.  I think she
really liked you.

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley





17 comments:

  1. Those raccoons aried, really. That's so sad that it killed Thelma and the others. I loved it when you would show her on your porch, I would get the biggest kick out of it. Guess I won't get chickens because I couldn't bear that to happen. A raccoon attacked my Mom's Yorkie during the day. My Mom went to get the Yorkie away from it (I know brave) and it attacked her. She had to have the series of rabies shots. There is more to this story but it is too long. RIP Wilma and the other hens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad:(. I will miss seeing Thelma. I hope the raccoons don't get the last one!
    Bentley, chase the pesky raccoons off!
    Xoxo,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh! I'm so very sorry for your loss! I'm sure Thelma will be happy in the big chicken coop in the sky. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww, Susan. Poor ol' Thelma. She was definitely my kind of chick. A true free spirit. And fearless, too. Bentley didn't phase her that much or perhaps she just liked living on the edge.

    That raccoon. Man, he must be fond of chicken dinners. May someday he find tail feathers in his throat.

    Sorry to hear the news. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Susan, so sorry to hear this. Kind of sad when you lose little feathered friends.
    I wanted you to know I just posted about some miniatures, and mentioned your blog and your link about your Farm Fresh Kitchen Minis. When
    you get a chance be sure to come by for a visit. Really enjoy reading your blog. YOu are on my daily
    blog visit....especially in the morning with a cup of coffee!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, how sad! I was just glad to hear that Bentley wasn't the cause of their death. Both of my grandma's had chickens and I always grew close to some of them. They are pretty cute (in their own way). So sorry to hear the sad news...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wearing a sad face. She looks like a sweet addition to daily life. animals are such funny creatures, bringing joy and sadness and the occasional hair pulling. RIP Themla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet feathered friend's tragic end! Sounds like she added so much to your life!!! I love the idea of her rocking on your grandmother's chair! How nice of you to chicken sit for Beatrice! I loved reading this post, Susan! Although it was sad... it made me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about the demise of Thelma! those nasty raccoons!! Steal an egg or two - but not the chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear this - Thelma and her two sisters, just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Thelma. Chickens are at the bottom of the food chain for sure. I hope I never have on that can fly over our wall. I think we have to much shrub closing them in. You should get some.I tell you they are the best fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww what a beautiful obit and memorial for Thelma. I feel bad she became dinner for a raccoon, not my favorite furry creature. :-( So sad that only one poor hen is left. No wonder she doesn't want to leave the coop. Poor thing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sad thing to happen, I feel just terrible.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! It's so sad when other critters get the chickens. My friends lost one to a fox! I'm sure Bentley misses Thelma also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww sweetie so sorry to hear about Thelma! Grace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan,

    Your little tribute to Thelma is very sweet and I enjoyed reading about her whirlwind of a life! This could have made an entertaining children's story! Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...