Wednesday, January 24, 2018

How I Finally Got a Great Night's Sleep


For a very long time, my restless and sleepless nights have been my
pattern.  There are days when I just felt like I was dragging myself 
around.  I know I am not alone because I have read the stats on how
poorly we all are sleeping.  

One thing that has started to improve my nightly rest is my FitBit.
I have been wearing a FitBit for over a year, but it has just been 
recently (the past five weeks) that I have been faithful about getting 
in my 10,000 steps per day, seven days per week.  I have noticed that
I fall asleep more quickly and sleep more soundly.  However, I was
still waking up in the middle of the night.  Sometimes I fall 
back asleep, but other times I would be awake for a while.

The second thing that has helped me to sleep better is I have
been practicing Dry January.  I have not had a glass of wine or
any other alcohol since New Year's Day.  So, now I am on day
23 of no wine or spirits, and you know what ~ I don't miss it one
little bit.  I am drinking more water and I am feeling great!  In
fact, I am wondering if I should go another month.  David 
has been also practicing Dry January too, and he's doing great
as well.  One thing he mentioned, when we go out for lunch
or dinner on the weekends, the bill is much cheaper!




I have read all about the healthy sleep habits we should be practicing,
but do I really practice them .... well, to be honest, no, I do not.
Since I have adhered to the 10,000 steps per day, and no alcohol,
why not add another element to my regime.  

My new goal is to establish a regular bedtime.  No more 11:30,
midnight or later.  If I am going to wake up at 7:00 am, I need to
be sleeping at 11:00 pm.  In order to slow myself down and get
ready for a sound sleep, I will get the pj's on by 10:00pm,
turn off the TV in our bedroom, and (this is the hard one for me)
turn off my cell and move it away from the bed.  It can't even be on
my nightstand in the picture above.  It needs to be across the room
where any notices from Facebook, texts, Instagram, etc will not
arouse me.  

So last night I implemented this new schedule.  I was in bed
by 10:00 pm, read until 10:45 and turned out my light.  I 
slept until 7:00 am!  I feel so good this morning and I know
for sure that I have been missing the boat on this routine for
far too long.  This falls into the category of you know you 
should do something, but you don't and when you finally 
do it, you have your ah ha moment!

Give these tips a try and let me know if they help you.
Until then ~ may all your dreams be happy ones.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley


8 comments:

  1. It's hard to move away from the tv, iPad, iPhone, regular phone before bedtime especially when they are all lined up on my nightstand. As worst of all, since you are so honest, I will be also, I use my iPod to put me to sleep. A big no no. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it. I put my phone on the charger in the other room. I also have a FitBit and love it. Being accountable with sleep and steps can change our life.
    Joyously,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,
    This post is right down my alley. I have terrible sleep habits, tv or laptop untl I just have to go to sleep. But when I lie down I am still wide awake. Must try your fitbit thing, whatever that is. I'l look it up. I don't drink alcohol but love my sweet tea all day and night. Not a good thing is it? Keep up the good work and I will let you know how my changes in behavior work for me. Love your home, your Bently and your endearing honest posts. Always relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Susan. I don't sleep great either...but I have to set my alarm to wake up at 4:30 to take some meds I am on. Sometimes I can go back asleep and sometimes I can't. I don't drink at all and never did much to begin with---so at least I am on the right track there. lol My Fitbit won't hold a charge-drives me nuts.

    Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. I hope this continues to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to up my walking again. No more excuses. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when you have pictures of you home... little snippets around you house! So pretty how you decorated your dresser.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...