Friday, January 25, 2013

Mrs Daffodil

Source: grit.com via Susan on Pinterest

I am currently crazy about Gladys Taber.  On these cold winter days there is nothing 
better than to curl up with a cozy read that will make you feel like you have a new
best friend.  Here she is. Isn't she adorable?  I love this pic of her in her kitchen at Stillmeadow.
Dogs at her feet, flavorful aromas coming from her vintage kitchen.  Everyone's
perfect grandmotherly type.

If you have not met Gladys Taber you are in for a treat.  Gladys was a well educated woman
who graduated from Wellesley College in 1920 and earned her Masters from Lawrence College
in 1921.  Although she authored more than 50 books, she was probably best known for her
magazine columns.  Her Diary of Domesticity in the Ladies Home Journal began in 1937 and
she wrote Butternut Wisdom for Family Circle magazine from 1959 to 1967.   There are some
that compare her to Elizabeth Lane's character in the movie Christmas in Connecticut, except that
Gladys really did live on a farm ~ Stillmeadow ~ and she really could cook.  Yet, the same 
charm and fascination is instilled in her writing as she safely guides the reader into a gentle and
often humorous look at country life.



I checked out every copy of her books currently available at our local
library.  She is still popular and I think that part of that popularity is attributed
to our friend Susan Branch who is a big fan of her work.




And here it is, Mrs. Daffodil.  She is adorable, a tad forgetful, funny and
a complete delight.  It's my current favorite book.

Here is a scene from Mrs. Daffodil's excursion to purchase a much needed girdle.
After much struggling to assist Mrs. Daffodil into her new girdle, the sales clerk utters ...

"Now, Gussie," said the clerk to the fitter, "isn't Moddom a perfect stylish stout?
Look at that figger.  You could model for us, Moddom."

"I wish I were dead," said Mrs. Daffodil to Kay as she leapt onto the escalator.
"I am a stylish stout, do you know that?"

I can't wait to get back to reading more of Mrs. Daffodil this evening.  It will be
hard to put down and I know that when I reach the end I will be yearning for more.

Happily Joining ~

Favorite Thing Friday


Bentley ~ have you ever noticed that your momma always reads books
where dogs are important characters?

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley







24 comments:

  1. Thanks for turning me on to a new read. I just checked iBook and she isn't available so I guess it is off to B & N tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a completely delightful post. Love how you tell about this book and introduce Gladys. I think we all love stories like hers and the stories she wrote about a so different time. I wanted to thank you for your visits to CollectInTexas Gal, I'm a new follower of your wonderful Bloggy. So nice to meet you and Bentley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you read books where dogs are important characters! That's why Bentley chose you. :-) Mrs. Daffodil sounds delightful. Thanks for stopping in at Cranberry Morning. You won't be disappointed in Wigwam merino wool socks. :-) I'm following you back. - Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a good author to read. So nice to open a book and not want to put it down.
    Hope you and sweet Bentley have a warm and cozy weekend!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Ash Tree Cottage! I don't even know your name yet but I have just followed you without looking at any other posts simply because I saw Glady's picture at Claudia's Favorite Friday. Can you guess I'm a fan of Gladys Taber's? From way back. I adore her. I have Mrs. Daffodil, which I reread every April, and a whole shelf of her books, all that I could find over many many years. Some of mine are nearly falling apart I have read them so many times.

    Any friend of Gladys Taber is a friend of mine. Now I will hit the publish button and read more of your blog and see if I can find out your name!
    So glad to have met you, lover of Gladys Taber books!
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will have to put Gladys Taber on my "To read" summer list!! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heading the library today! These books sound delightful! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom loves that author....I know that I read one of her books long ago / going to have to get another one. Mrs Daffodil sounds too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am going to check her out! Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had never heard of this author- thanks! Sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I not know of this author and book! I am now on a treasure hunt. Thank you so very much for this spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you did this post. We are going to the library today for my daughter but now I can check these out. Funny I know her from gardening shows I watch. But just my kind of read as I am sure I was meant to be born decades ago in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, this sounds just delightful. I must go to the libarary and check this out. I love books like these. By the way, have you ever read any of Eugenia Price novels. I love them all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great read, I'll have to check it out at the library! I've just read all of Jacqueline Winspear's "Maisie Dobbs" books, I can't wait for the 9th one to come out in March! I'm currently reading Charles Finch's books, they are mystery's that take place in London during the Victorian era! Lot's of fun!

    Have a great day and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! That sounds like my kinda book(s)! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I have ever read an of her books - thanks for the info.
    Thanks for stopping by and nice comment - will pass it along to daughter.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for blogging about her. I immediately requested the book from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read that SB loves her and wondered about her books. This sounds delightful! I'll have to check around!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have not read her books but I want, too. I am going to the library tomorrow. I hope they have some of them .
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read about her so often lately! I want to read her books and you know what? I'm going to check them out from my library!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love Gladys Taber and have been a fan for years and have some of her books, and read many others. I know she was especially fond of Irish Setters and Cocker Spaniels. If you get a chance try to get your hands on her book of short stores, you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post! I too discovered Gladys Taber via Susan Branch's charming books, loving all the quotes attributed to her. But I never thought to go further, thank you so much for all the info and I can't wait to read more of her delightful writing.

    Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to thank you for introducing Gladys Taber books to me. I find myself reading many older vintage books because I just don't relate to the genre that are in big bookstores today. If you love reading these types of books, may I suggest: A Place in the Woods by Helen Hoover. This story was published in Reader's Digest in 1969.( I am sure you can locate an original copy on Amazon) It is a wonderful story about a couple roughing it in the woods and deciding to live this way by choice. Also The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing is a good one. I love your blog, by the way. ShaSha

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...