Sunday, January 27, 2013

Warm It Up With Chili and a Winner!



I am really getting cabin fever.  I am finally feeling better after being sick for a week.
I have stayed indoors all weekend because it has been so cold and miserable outside.
Seems like perfect weather for a big pot of my all day chili!

I will give you my recipe in a minute, but first I want to congratulate
Judy of 20 North Ora for winning my giveaway of the little rusty bird
and birdhouse.  Email your address to me Judy so that I can fly that bird
down to Tulsa!  And thank you to all of you who participated.  I have
another giveaway in mind that I hope you all will enjoy.






Susan's All Day Chili

1 pound of beef stew meat
EVOO to coat pan
1 diced yellow onion
1 diced green pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
Chili seasoning blend
2 cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 can of drained black beans


Pat the stew meat dry.  Heat oil in dutch oven.  Add meat a few pieces at
a time.  Make sure that all of the meat browns well.  Remove meat from 
pot and add onions and green pepper.  At this point I add some Kosher salt
to make sure the onions and the pepper sweat.  After a few minutes, add the
minced garlic.  Now add the chili powder blend.  Let this heat up a bit to
bring out the flavor.  Add some of the juice from the tomatoes to deglaze the
pot.  Add the rest of the tomatoes, all of the juice and the meat.  Cover and let
the pot simmer for at least one hour.  I like the meat to be really tender, so 
take your time with this.  Then remove cover and let the chili simmer for another
45 minutes.  I like the juices to condense and to intensify the flavor.  Just before
serving, add the drained and rinsed black beans.

I usually serve my chili over cooked brown rice, and I garnish the bowls
with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped scallions.
Love some homemade cornbread with this too.  

Happily Joining



Bentley has been smelling the chili cook all afternoon.
His daddy gave him some popcorn as an appetizer.  
What a lucky dog!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley






10 comments:

  1. Chili is so wonderful this time of year!! Always perfect and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of serving chili with rice! Hope you're feeling better Susan-take care:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Bentley would love some cornbread and chili! :D
    I've never had it with rice, which is weird because I serve red beans and rice all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the reasons I like to serve chili with brown rice is that I am always looking for ways to increase the fiber in our diet and to decrease the meat. I could easily be a vegetarian, but I don't see that happening any time soon for David. Bentley loves brown rice!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good... we have never had chili over rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh...this sounds so good! Thanks. And hurray for Judy! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks so pretty served before the fire. I sometimes serve chili the second day over macaroni but had not thought about rice, which would be a perfect match. Every time I see your Bentley I think of our granddoggie Bentley...only ours is a 60 pound Old English Bulldog! Going to the boarding place to pick him up later as his parents fly home tonight. We'd keep him here except he doesn't get along with our big male lab/Pyrenees mix.

    Getting hungry for chili now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. That old flu is just wreaking havoc!!!!!!! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are recovering! Nothing like having a pot of something simmering away on the stove on a wintry day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds absolutely yummy. Thanks for sharing your recipe for chilli. Love, Love, Love Chilli on a cold day ;-)
    Glad you are feeling better my friend ~

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...