Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Learning to Chill


When I was in college I was an "A" student.  I was proud of my scholastic 
record but there is one "A" I am not at all proud about.  That's my 
type "A" personality.  I always have too much going on, too many
responsibilities I have agreed to and too much self inflicted pressure.




I skip meals, burn the candle at both ends and stress myself out.




As a consequence I have insomnia and phantom aches and pains.  Lately I 
feel as though I will crumble and shatter. 



Very recently a friend discovered that she has a very serious health
issue.  Her problem could well be life threatening.




I am praying that she will not have the dreaded "C".  Her illness has
forced me to take a good look at my own situation.  Why am I putting so much 
pressure on myself?  Why can't I learn to let things just slide a bit?
What's more important ~ my health or a self imposed deadline?

I am going to focus on learning to chill.  So I took the first step today ...



I am actually allowing myself to take a four day weekend next month.
And you know what, I can't do ANY work at all for those four days.
Wish me luck attempting to chill.

Bentley ~ I need to follow your lead and learn to set aside time to play
every day.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley


13 comments:

  1. Take it from me who lost her best friend three years ago...take care of yourself. My mom always said if you don't have your health, you have nothing and I understand that now. Have fun on those 4 days that are well-deserved, I'm sure. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself had stressed myself into poor health by constantly being on the go and having insomnia as well as a nervous break down from it all taking on to much and expecting so much of myself . I was also diagnosed with IBS and Muscular Rheumatoid Arthritis from it all and now even though I am retired I have to live with it for the rest of my life . Stress and lack of sleep is the number 1 cause to a lot of illnesses , everyone needs to step back and take a breather and slow down . I know that now . I am retired and have learnt to not fuss if I didn't get everything done I set out to do . Life is to short to rush it away ! I do hope your friend will be ok and you as well take time for yourself cause with out your health life can and will continue to be a struggle and it shouldn't be !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been a stress puppy in my "former" life, I can totally relate to where you are coming from ...take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. prayers for your friend. I have had a lot on my plate for a year. I do not think I was type A but I put things in order of importance and boy was it in a wrong order. My daughter was having headaches nothing much helped they wanted to put her on meds to slow her heart. She said enough! and has started meditating it has been a process but it is helping no headaches for some time.
    I am trying to meditate I start with laying quiet and reciting my blessings for the day. as small breathing in and out. I wish you peace that is the greatest joy.
    Blessings
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really needed to read this post today of all days.....Thank-you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are always consequences to burning the candle at both ends! I found that out the hard way. Oh, how I wish I could go back in time and take better care of myself! Do it now! Prayers for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why o why do we let ourselves be pressured into so much stress? And we do it to ourselves! We all need to take some time to just sit back and smell the roses. We usually don't do this until we lose someone very near and dear. Why do we wait that long. We have so much to be grateful for and so many blessings that we need to take time and enjoy.

    Thanks for reminding me to slow down.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient......." Have a lovely long weekend. I'll pray for your friend, also.

    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'm just really glad you are going to take a 4-day break - Bentley will help you chill the whole 4 days, and we'll be rooting for you. Meanwhile I'll pray for your friend, and that you'll get some rest. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your friend has good news, and is well soon. My first boss always said " close enough for government work"...and I choose to that live in an "ish" world..nothing is that important. Do things that make YOU happy, don't stress it hurts you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all need to play more and relax. I have stress associated health problems. Now when I start to stress out over something I start to think about something good instead. It really works. Saying a prayer for your friend and for you.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you need to schedule a little time for yourself. It's hard. I used to be that way. But I am chillin in my days now.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...